Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

I have been let go unspecified reason after just two

Customer Question

I have been let go for an unspecified reason after just two years of being a Head Coach for a school. I have not been able to land another interview because I cannot explain why I was let go other than the contract was yearly. Everyone in coaching knows it takes at least four years to build and deteremine position. I was told I did not connect with my players was the main reason. I filed a grievance and it was investigated and went back for support of the yearly contract. However it has tremendously hurt my reputation as a coach in getting a new position. I am at a loss, I was told the grievance interviews were strong on my behalf but their hands were tied to the contract. Is there any legal ramification I could pursue after the Principal and AD for lost future income and career because of the defamation it has caused?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. In South Carolina, as in other states, employees work at will. This means an employee can generally be fired at any time and for any reason, or for no reason at all. But there are some exceptions to the at-will rule. For example, if your South Carolina employer fires you for discriminatory reasons, in violation of an employment contract, or in retaliation for exercising your rights, you may have a legal claim against your employer for wrongful termination. South Carolina law prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, religion, age (40 and older), genetic information, and disability. South Carolina employers must comply with these laws if they have at least fifteen employees. If the firing was not discriminatory then you only have a couple other things that you could base a lawsuit on. If you have a written employment contract promising you job security, you are not an at-will employee. South Carolina also recognizes implied employment contracts based on oral promises or statements in an employee handbook that create a reasonable expectation of job security. For example, if your employee handbook says that employees won't be fired until they've received verbal and written warnings, you may be entitled to those procedures before being fired. If you have an employment contract, and your employer fires you without good cause, you have a legal claim for breach of contract. Basically, it is very difficult to win a lawsuit such as this as South Carolina is an at-will state and you can be fired for any reason except for the reasons I listed. This does not count as defamation unless your employer is telling untruths about what happened. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?