Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

If a superior demeaned you over a walkee talkee where others

Customer Question

If a superior demeaned you over a walkee talkee where others could hear, is that a legal issue? If so, what legal issue?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. That really depends on what you mean by demean. If there was clear evidence of discrimination due to your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent medical leave use, then certainly that would be a legal issue that you'd want to take the EEOC in your state (or Department of Labor for FMLA). However, without one of those illegal motivations, rude comments are not actually illegal in employment law. Our Supreme Court has stated that our employment laws are not a civility code. They only deal with issues of discrimination. There is no law requiring employee discipline to be private, so the fact that others could hear it is not illegal. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.