Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I took a position as an Account Manager...I took a position

Customer Question

I took a position as an Account Manager...
I took a position as an Account Manager at a small marketing agency (20 people) last August. My wife, who works for Citizens Bank, became a Commercial Banker in November of last year, and this position had my agency in her portfolio. I immediately told my owner and CEO and she was thrilled to hearit. The owner's put the agency's bookkeeper/HR Director as her direct contact to the company. After having one initial meeting with the owners in December, it became increasingly harder for my wife to engage with the bookkeeper/HR Director. She is considered a small business specialist, and part of her job is to make sure her clients continue to grow and make sound financial decisions. She realized that her messages weren't always making there way to owners. In Mid-March the agency received fees from Citizens bank due to paperwork that had been modified for their company name change. The bookkeeper/HR director reached out to my wife to see if she could have these fees waived. When my wife said that she could not waive those fees, the bookkeper/HR director decided to email a retail branch manager in Hampton.Fast forward to Friday, April 1, and my wife received a call from her boss saying that the HR Director at my agency, requested a new commercial banker due to a conflict of interest. Once she told me, I asked my direct boss if that were the case and why they hadn't brought that up previously. My direct boss asked the HR Director if that happened and she replied that she had not done that.On Monday, April 4, I met with both of the owners of my agency (they are married) and asked them if they felt there was a conflict of interest. They responded that they had never thought that and were surprised by my asking. When I mentioned that it was the HR Director that made the request, they could not understand why that would happen. They chalked it up to a misunderstanding and made it clear they had no problem at all with my wife being their Commercial Banker, in fact, they preferred it.On Tuesday, April 5, my wife went to the branch that was supposedly contacted and confirmed with the branch manager that the HR Director not only emailed, but talked to her on the phone about a change due to a conflict of interest on March 22. This was a day after my wife denied waiving the fees.My wife went to my agency that afternoon and discussed with the owner and CEO the issue from her end, and gave her a copy of the email which was written by the bookkeeper/HR director. With her husband out of town for the rest of the week, she apologized and promised to have it resolved next week. She has written a couple of emails to us since then expressing how much she wants to get this worked out and move forward with the relationship.Over this week I have felt increasingly more uncomfortable working in a place where something like this isn't being addressed head on. I fear that the owners will try to brush this over and get eveyone to move on when I don't think I could. At this point, I am either working with a dishonest bookkeeper/HR Director or owners. If the bookkeeper/HR Director tried to make this move on her own, and denies it due to he fact she doesn't realize we've obtained that email, I can't feel comfortable working at a place where that person oversees all my personal information, performance reviews, and many other important things.Am I the victim here?
Are there legal ramifications for the agency if they do not remove this person, or force me to work in a place where I am admittedly uncomfortable?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In the company handbook there is nothing that mentions spouses working together.
HR bookkeeper person still is in her position. Owner's husband is traveling and coming back next week. So since Monday i have been feeling very uneasy working with this person around me this whole time pretending she didn't do anything. Owner would not do anything until husband (the other owner) comes back. And she is aware and saw the email exchanged between the branch manager of the bank and the hr bookkeeper person.
What should I do until next week. I am frustrated and feel uncomfortable working there because nothing has been resolved.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Am I the victim here? Response 1: No, you are not. You have not lost your job or told to leave because your wife has the company's account. Are there legal ramifications for the agency if they do not remove this person, or force me to work in a place where I am admittedly uncomfortable? Response 2: There are no legal ramifications. Nothing has been done to you. The issue was of a bank fee that the company disputed. What should I do until next week. I am frustrated and feel uncomfortable working there because nothing has been resolved. Response 3: There is really nothing you can do based on the information that you have provided. The company has not done anything to you because of the issue with the fee charged by your wife's bank. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.