Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I'm an alcoholic but I don't drink at work or come to work

Customer Question

I'm an alcoholic but I don't drink at work or come to work drunk. I had 3 scheduled days off and I relapsed and needed hospital/rehab help. I informed my boss and he said call when I get out. I called when I got out and was told I had been replaced. I was told I was a good employee & just given a raise. Then he denied me unemployment. Can he do this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. How long did you take off work? Did you make any effort to communicate with your employer when you were gone? Did you inform your employer that you were taking time off to treat your addiction? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.