Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have been placed on suspension into a possible

Customer Question

I have been placed on suspension for investigation into a possible hipaa violation. I have been told by my employer that it is 'being investigated'. I have worked as a nurse practitioner, with a stellar reputation at my place of employment for 18 years. This suspension came after my employer learned that I plan to seek employment elsewhere. There has been no violation in any way, shape or form, yet I have not been told of the procedure for investigation, length of suspension, etc. What are my rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about these unfounded accusations. Unfortunately, I must tell you that an employee's rights in this circumstance are typically quite limited. The reason stems from the fact that employment is at will absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated at any time for virtually any reason, regardless of whether that reason is fair or even true. Since employers don't need a true reason to terminate someone, they can terminate someone based on a false allegation. Likewise, they can suspend someone based on a false accusation. Generally speaking, employees have no right to know about the details of an investigation concerning their conduct, again because employers have no obligation to base adverse employment decisions on true or correct information. So, all you can really do in the situation is cooperate with your employer's investigation and wait things out. You would not typically have any right to a hearing, or to be privy to the status of the investigation being conducted.I truly wish that I had better news to share with you. However, I must of course be honest with you and explain how the law applies in the circumstance. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you. If I have fully answered your question, I would be grateful for a positive rating of my service, which will enable me to receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes.