Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

We are putting together quarterly commission plans for

Customer Question

We are putting together quarterly commission plans for employees. We want to condition payment of the commissions on the employee still being at the company at quarter end. So, basically, the commission would not be "earned", such that we are obligated to pay it, until quarter end. I understand that there is flexibility in determining when commission is "earned" but that some delays are not permissible.Is it permissible under CA law to condition commissions being "earned" on the employee still being at the company at quarter end? Thanks.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome back. This is absolutely acceptable, and indeed a common clause included in commission agreements. If I can clarify anything, just let me know. Best, Patrick
Please let me know if there is anything more I can do to assist you. If I have answered your question, please kindly remember to take a moment to positively rate my service. This is the only way I am compensated for my time answering questions and so is very much appreciated. Best, Patrick