Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I retired from a full time librarian job 15 years ago. I

Customer Question

I retired from a full time librarian job 15 years ago. I was in the NY retirement system. For 14 years after that I worked part-time at another library, paid union dues to the Civil Service Employees Union. A year ago I retired at age 80 from my part-time librarian job.The Union contract states the "Compensation for accrued unused sick leave will be granted if the part-time employee has a minimum of ten years continuous uninterrupted service. Unused sick leave credits will be compensated to a maximum of 420 hours to the employee upon retirement or death." The CSEA union specialist told me I would be compensated. (It totals over $9000), and counseled me on the grievance process when the library refused to pay me claiming I did not "retire, " I resigned. After many months, the union turned a complete about fact and agreed with the administration.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.
are you asking if you have a claim to pursue?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
yes and if a person can retire from more than 1 job. The library says no.
One can retire from a position, it can be from one or more positions. Retirement is not automatically a resignation. Also earned and vested benefits need to be paid. If not being done, the union should provide counsel to pursue this for you so you are not out of pocket pursuing through private counsel. You may also lodge a complaint with the NY labor department, department of wages.
Kindly rate me positively.