Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

My employer is asking me to step down from a manager position

Customer Question

My employer is asking me to step down from a manager position which would mean transfer out or he said he would coach me out by writing me up. I have been with this company for almost 18 years as a manager and always had fair reviews or better. They want me to give them an answer by end of week. I feel my age has a factor in this as they asked me to retire last year is there any thing that can be done about this. And what decision do I make let them fire me or step down ?
JA: OK. The Employment Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Employment Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. Unfortunately, in employment law, it does not matter how long you've been with an employer. That gives you no legal protections. What matters is your employment status, and your employment is "at will" unless you have a contract that specifically states you can only be terminated for cause. These are very rare. At will employees can legally be terminated at any time, with or without cause. They don't need to show write ups or a history of issues. Now, all that said, an employer with at least 20 employees can't legally terminate someone based on age. If you feel that your age is a factor, you need to contact the EEOC in your state and file a federal complaint. You don't need an attorney to do so. if the employer is smaller than that, you need to contact your state's human rights commission to determine if they will represent you against a smaller company. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.