Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I was recently fired by my employer washing my hands

Customer Question

I was recently fired by my employer for not washing my hands which i know i did.I also know that other employees do the same thing i see it every day and they are constantly watching me to catch me doing something wrong. It is so hard to feel like you are constantly walking on egg shells
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.
The employer normally has broad discretion even when its judgment is wrong or improper. However, you can pursue a case if you are being treated differently than others, company is not following policy, or there is discrimination involved due to race, gender, age or nationality. In all events, one can normally negotiate either reinstatement or a severance by having a lawyer contact HR/management as company doesnt want to risk being sued or investigated. Kindly let me know if that is clear.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Severance pay would be better i feel if i go back the same repeat performance will still happen especially when i feel the hr person is responsible
ok, and the threat of a complaint with labor board or court is something to be leveraged in negotiating a severance. You want to ask for pay for several weeks, extension of any benefits being offered, and a good reference. Kindly rate me positively.
can I clarify anything?