John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

We have a sales rep in Arkansas that last year decided to stop

Customer Question

We have a sales rep in Arkansas that last year decided to stop working as an employed sales rep due to retirement but stay on as an independent sales rep. He no longer services his accounts the way we would like him to and want to terminate him as an independent rep. What is he entitled to in the form of commissions?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Does what I sent not have enough information? My name is***** We are in Georgia. The rep worked for us since 2006 and independently decided to terminate his agreement and work as an independent sales person. We just want to be sure we are paying him what he is owed and not have any labor related issues.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.
As an independent contractor he is entitled to the commissions to all sales for which he was the procuring cause/salesman of record. The only exception to that would be if you specifically limited his commissions to end on the date of termination of his contract. Otherwise, he is owed commissions for all sales he made regardless of his date of termination.