P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11181181

I am a volunteer coach Olympiad anatomy and physiology at

Customer Question

I am a volunteer coach for Science Olympiad anatomy and physiology at Mentor High school (extracurricular activity for the students). Last year my students (2 students) came in first place at nationals and won an all expense paid trip to the national Neuro Science conference in Chicago. I was the chaperone. The Neuroscience conference gave all 3 of us together $3,000.00 dollars for all our expenses. I kept an itemized tally of what we spent. The question becomes how is this reported in our taxes since the students won the money but the check was sent to me since I was the chaperone and the “bank” so to speak on the trip.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help
Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
I want to make sure I understand...what you are describing, the money was paid to allow you to cover "expenses" (food/lodging) is that correct?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
This was not "income"...is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. We were given the money for food, transportation, plane fare etc.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
THanks
So is not income...there is no need to "declare" it....did they send you a 1099?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They sent a 1099-misc, and box 3 was checked
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** moment...
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. It is odd they are claiming this as "income"...since it is clearly not. But let me send this on to another tax expert who may be able to give you a bit more insight on how to process this...no need to respond, another expert will weigh in if they can
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, should I wait online or will someone e-mail me back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I will be on my phone for an online conference, this works better for me.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
I need to get you out of this Catagory (employement law) and into "Tax law"...but the sustem will not allow me to do so.But this link will allow you to do sohttp://ww2.justanswer.com/phone?category_id=164