Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I was hired as a full-time instructor at a for-profit college

Customer Question

I was hired as a full-time instructor at a for-profit college in Virginia. My hours have fluctuated between 36-40 hours. I have a good work record, no attendance problems and very good student and supervisor evaluations. We teach courses in 5-week modules. I understand that in some cases enrollment may be low in courses and I may not be able to get 40 hours, however, this module I will only have 27 hours. My schedule is split having two classes from 8:00 am - 1:00 p.m. My next class is scheduled to begin at 8:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Not only is this schedule a hardship on me financially but I also have to drive 140 miles (35 miles one way) a day due to the split schedule. I was not notified of the change in this schedule prior to the Spring Break which ended on 4/3/2016. The change in hours is not consistent with my employment letter which stated that I was hired as a full-time instructor. Can you provide me with feedback on this situation? Frances Dukes
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Anything else I can tell the Employment Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that will be all. Thank you.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. In terms of your employment letter, were you guaranteed a specific minimum number of hours for a specific period of time (i.e. 1 year, etc...)