Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

Do was late new manager fired me but early on in my

Customer Question

do was late for work new manager fired me but early on in my employment I was never given lunch break at Nordstrom for years I have witnesses feel targeted 18 years worked f for company
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Colorado law provides that an employer must give an employee a meal break if they work a shift of more than 5 consecutive hours. The break doesn't have to be paid, but you do have to be given that time off, with nothing required of you until the break period ends. You can file a Complaint with the Board of Labor and ask them to investigate.

However, unless you complained about the lack of a meal period, the fact that you weren't getting one isn't related to being terminated for being late. Employment is at will, and an employer is free to let an employee go for any non-discriminatory, non-retaliatory reason. It's only illegal for them to fire you for being late if you relied on an established attendance policy on that day. Or, if they don't discipline younger employees for being late, but they took negative action against you, that could be a grounds for age discrimination if you've over 40. That's the type of thing you'd have to prove to bring an action against your employer based on being fired.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.