Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

In Early March, I slipped on ice in the parking lot at work.

Customer Question

In Early March, I slipped on ice in the parking lot at work. I was returning from a lunch break when it happened. I continued to be able to work, but I have some lasting physical pain and some other issues since the incident.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. You will have to prove that the property owner was negligent and that his or her negligent actions caused your injuries. To prove negligence, you will have to show that the property owner had an obligation to not cause you injury and that he or she violated this obligation. You will also be asked to prove the extent of your damages. This can be shown with copies of your medical records and bills.Under New York slip-and-fall law, you may be held partially responsible for your injuries. This is especially true if the conditions that caused your accident were temporary, such as an icy sidewalk, rather than permanent, such as a broken stair. This is called comparative negligence. If you are found responsible, the amount you can recover will be reduced in proportion to the amount that you are at fault.How a person is classified determines the duty of care a premises owner has. A landlord is required to take reasonable care in ensuring that a property is safe, and must warn an invitee of any dangerous condition. If the premises is a place of business, the landlord is required to inspect the premises for any potential danger. While the responsibilities are slightly different for each classification, in all instances the landlord has the duty to ensure the safety of someone who enters the property. In order to have a legal claim, it must be proven that the property owner knew, or should have known about the defective condition and did nothing to prevent it. This is not always easy to prove. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?