Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is it legal in Iowa employer to pay an employee for

Customer Question

Is it legal in Iowa for an employer to pay an employee for three days in this pay period that they do not actually work until their following pay period? If not legal, where can I find applicable law?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Kindly provide proper foundation for your question.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The employee is paid hourly for a basic 40 hour week. A pay period is two weeks. Over the past 3 months the employee was paid for 9 1/2 hours that was not worked nor taken as pto or holiday (employer consenting to help employee). The employee wants to work 9 1/2 hours (beyond 40 a week) at no pay over the next few months to repay the employer the "owed" labor. Is this legal when both employee and employer are consenting?
Thank you for the information. Yes, it is legal. However, to avoid any future misunderstanding, the employer needs to have this arrangement in writing. Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.