Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

If an employee wants to talk to H R concerning personal issues,

Customer Question

If an employee wants to talk to H R concerning personal issues, such as when to take their vacation or a sick family member, should the company pay them while the conversation is taking place?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. Those may be personal issues, but they relate to workplace matters and so it is arguable that that time is compensible. Particularly if the conversion is taking place during the regular workday, and is not very long (consistent with the normal "breaks"). The law doesn't dictate payment, but the actions could very well be considered work oriented and allow for pay. I'd not want to be an employer arguing against pay in that situation. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.