Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I own a small business who does business in Colorado. I am

Customer Question

I own a small business who does business in Colorado. I am being sued in District court by a person who claims that we discriminated against them by not addressing an accommodation.
as an owner of the company can I represent myself in this case or does Colorado Law require me to hire an attorney?
If I have to hire an attorney what is the best way for me to keep these costs down. we are not guilty of the accusations and have proof but this person is suing us because of the obvious leverage a single person has when a corporation has to hire attorneys to defend themselves.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 8 months ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.Colorado business owners,corporate entities including LLCs require attorney representation when the company is bringing or defending actions in court.However, there is an exception to this rule which allows non-attorney officers of closely held businesses to represent their company in court without an attorney if the matter did not exceed $10,000.
I suggest you get a list of attorneys from the CO Legal Referral Service, interview them and see who can represent you best. You might be able to find a local attorney who will represent on a flat rate, if the matter does not have to go to court and a dismissal can be obtained. But many times these cases can lead to long litigation with motions, etc. You might want to see if the matter can be mediated to come to a settlement if a dismissal is not imminent.
If you tell me the county where this is pending, I can try to locate a referral service number for you.