Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in employment law, unions, contracts, workers comp law

I was told that once enrolled in COBRA, your premium remains

Customer Question

I was told that once enrolled in COBRA, your premium remains the same regardless how many family members are insured. We have gone from 5 insured to 3, and the rate isn't dropping.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 months ago.

Hello there --

If the cost for a family plan for current employees is the same across the board for every employee whether they have a family of four or a family of ten, then the same applies to the COBRA premiums that you are paying. You see, the COBRA premiums are buying you the same amount of coverage as the current employees at the company and so if each employee who pays for a family plan pays the same price across the board whether they have 3 family members or 5 family members. It is all the same. Now, if the employer is attempting to charge persons paying the premiums through COBRA a higher rate than the regular employees, this is not legal and it should be reported to the US Dept of Health and Human Services (they are the US federal department that oversees healthcare services in the US) and you can also report it to the Attorney General's offices in the state where you are living and purchasing these COBRA benefits.

You should also look into coverage under The Affordable Health Care Act (also known as Obamacare) -- you may be able to purchase good coverage for your family that is about half the price of a COBRA plan. I know of several people who were paying 500 per month for individual plans on COBRA and when they signed up for Obamacare, their premiums dropped to around 150-200 per month because the premiums are based on your current income. Here is a link to the Affordable Health Care Act website where you can compare prices and enroll --

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time tonight? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH