Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My attorney failed to present a thorough case at my EEOC

Customer Question

My attorney failed to present a thorough case at my EEOC Mediation against Baltimore County. I haven't signed the final draft because the language must be approved. I want to go back to fvoid the atentative agrrement and go back to work and continue to sue the county, racce discrimination, age discrimination, harrassment in the work place and rumor mongering. Can you help me?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You understand that state law forbids anyone from this site from representing you, all we are allowed to do is provide information to customers regarding their situations to help them know what their options are. If that is sufficient we can do that for you and need additional information.
When you left the mediation, did you sign any agreement or it was left open until the final language was decided?
Have you spoken to your attorney yet about this and about what you want out of this REALISTICALLY? Also, have you spoken to him about the strength of your evidence is (since clients always believe their evidence is strong, but an independent legal analysis my not agree with that belief based on court standards that the attorney has to apply)?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I signed a tentative aggreement. The final draft is pending approval of the language. I want to tell the EEOC that I decided not to accept the tentaive agrrement and pursue my initial charges against Baltimore County. Is this possible???
Thank you for your reply.
If you have a tentative agreement that was agreed upon, you can still seek to change your mind based on the terms once the final agreement is written. You can tell the EEOC you do not agree to the tentative agreement as once you had chance to look at it there were things missing. However, you should not do anything without your attorney or without getting a new attorney first, because if you do something without your attorney or a new attorney it can be very hard for you to ever get a new attorney and taking this type of case to court without an attorney is a recipe for disaster.
This all has to start with you having a face to face meeting with your attorney and clearly laying out your issues with this agreement and why you disagree and make them tell you based on their assessment of your evidence of you getting what you want and make them tell you realistically what you could get based on your evidence. Before you meet face to face and discuss in full with your attorney, it is premature to tell the EEOC anything.
If your attorney does not give you satisfactory answers, you need to actually hire another attorney before terminating this attorney, because as I said, once an attorney withdraws from your case it is very hard to convince another attorney to take your case.