Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney

I am resigning a position from a non-profit in Massachusetts

Customer Question

I am resigning a position from a non-profit in Massachusetts to take a new full time job. I would like to offer to do some consulting work for my current employer for some specific project work on a short term basis, to help fill gaps until they hire someone new. Is there any legal reason my employer could not hire me as a consultant/independent contractor after I resign?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

There is nothing that would statutorily prevent them from contracting with you if their corporate Bylaws allow it. The only thing that I could see that might hinder them doing so is if they felt that your new job could be viewed as a conflict of interest with any work that you might do for the old employer.

But if there is no perceived conflict by the old employer, and they are willing to enter into a contractor/consultant relationship with you, then the only one who could object then would be your new employer if they felt that this could be a conflict of interest with your new job duties..

So before I entered into any contractor relationship with the old employer, I would make sure to clear it through the new one because you don't want to get fired from the new job for moonlighting at the old one..