Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.

I am guilty of taking money from a company through fake

Customer Question

I am guilty of taking money from a company through fake expense reports. The company threatened prosecute if I did not agree to restitution. I have read that can be considered extortion. Can I sue in return or could their case be dismissed?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 7 months ago.

You could sue alleging extortion where a company threaten to inform the government or restitution. If they prosecute, I doubt there case will be dismiss on the grounds that they demanded restitution. Perhaps you report it to governmental authorities as extortion and notify the company of such report but do not request any monies in exchange for not reporting the extortion charge against the company as that may be extortion.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.