TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My aon has been told he is part of a reduction of force at s

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my aon has been told he is part of a reduction of force at his company. They said they will show him the severance agreement a couple of days before he has to sign it. he is not yet 40. several others are being terminated in his unit as well. is the time appropriate?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help if I can. Do you have any specific questions? I just want to make sure that I understand what legal information you are seeking.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
since this is a rif affecting several employees all under 40 can the employer only give a couple of days to review and/pr negotiate a severance agreement?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
r u there
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
pl answer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what is going on? i paid for this answer. now answer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
come on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
answer
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again. Thanks for your patience while I was assisting other customers.

The employer must follow any employment agreement that it entered into with the employees. Accordingly, if there is an employment agreement which states that a specific amount of time must be given to negotiate severance agreements, then the employer must abide by it. The employees could sue the employer if the employment agreement is ignored.

However, if there is no employment agreement, then the employer doesn't have to provide any particular amount of time to negotiate severance agreements. In fact, the law does not even require the employer to provide severance agreements. Accordingly, in that situation where there is no employment agreement covering this scenario, I'd take whatever I could get from the employer if I were in your son's shoes.

So, the bot***** *****ne is that your son's recourse depends upon the specific facts in this case, such as whether there is an employment agreement that covers this scenario.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!