Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

Employment question: Im just at the 3 yr and this has been

Customer Question

employment question: Im just at the 3 yr mark and this has been in back of mind since employment was terminated at US Postal Service about 3 yrs ago. Here are the particulars: - hired in with military preference, postmaster aware of service connected disability. I asked if route was walking or driving and he said i would be assigned to mail truck as there were only 1 or 2 actual walking routes. I did not want a F/t walking route due to service connected injuries that I did not was to exacerbate. Worked there 6 wks, lost 26 lbs. Worked hard with limited training. Floor supervisor had it out for me from the get-go. 'You're never going to make it', "everyone here doesn't like you because you are taking their OT hours". My route was never the same; therefore, could not master any particular route which gave me a disadvantage when compared to permanent staff. This did not matter to the supervisor. Additionally, she and another supervisor told me that i was lucky so and so was sorting my mail because others 'might sabatoge'. I do believe this happened on several occasions- the last time on the day i was dismissed. Two days prior when sup was giving out routes she told me i had a walking route and i was concerned and mentioned Postmaster, Carlos, said I would be driving only. I mentioned my military ortho disability and she went off saying she didn't know anything about that and she wanted a note from Dr.stating my disabilities. I did the route and it wasn't an all day walking event. 2 days later, my last day- she gave me less time to deliver on another new route. I told her I would do my best and 3 times she got in my face with pointed finger and yelled 'that i had to be done in 3 hours, 3HOURS!! Mail was a mess, packages were not marked and it was clearly what i would consider a sabatoge. The postmaster himself showed on my route and intimidated...I knew it was over. Interestingly enough- i was approached earlier in day and encouraged to meet with union steward as shift was putting together hostile environment complaint against said supervisor. Other things worth mentioning: I was not permitted to ask questions, regarding route, to mail carriers that I filled in for,. If i asked supervisor a question- she didn't have time or I would get - "I don't know anything about this route, dont ask me' or ' You dont seeee meee!'. Training on proper use of time clock options- didn't happen until 5 week. Was not sent to 2 day mail carrier school, did not receive carrier guidebook until 3 days after termination. The icing on the termination letter was read out loud in work place before supervisor would release my paycheck... Wondering if I ever had a case. I was employed 27 years with USAF- 'outstandings' across the board... With this job, nothing but insults, humiliation and hostility. Just wondering- today is the 3rd yr.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Do you believe that the hostile work environment was possibly due to your status as a veteran, race, religion, creed, etc? Or not?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. I need to know:
-do you believe the action was due to discrimination (race, religion, creed, VA status, etc), or
-do you believe that the action was due to your injuries (and if so, what are they)?