Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

If someone signed up with an effective date within 30 days

Customer Question

If someone signed up for Medicare with an effective date within 30 days and he hasn't paid yet for Part B is it possible to rescind it? And how? A client is on an HSA and wants to stay on it and thought he had to sign up. Can he get out of it within some timeframe?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you.

Yes you can here is what social security states..

ou can voluntarily terminate your Medicare Part B (medical insurance). However, since this is a serious decision, you will need to have a personal interview with a Social Security representative first. The representative will help you complete Form CMS 1763. This form is not available online. To schedule your interview, call us at 1-***-***-**** (TTY: 1-***-***-****) Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM, or contact your nearest Social Security office.

Call them and set up an appointment here to cancel it today so you will not be charged more premiums.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there is no 30 day "I changed my mind" provision? Plus he wants to continue to his HSA account so needs to cancel both a and b. Are you required to meet with SS before canceling or since he's not paid...
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

According to them you are here, they want to make sure he understands what he is doing.I understand he does but you can understand why they want you to do this in person. I think it is best here to make appointment to complete this face to face--that way you know it has been done and corrected.There is no special 30 days to change your mind process.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thank you very much.
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

You are so welcome.I appreciate the chance to help.

If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.