Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.

My name is ***** *****. The plant that I worked in closed

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. The plant that I worked in closed down. I am in Pa. I wanted to know if cashing in 401k would affect my unemployment benefits.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I contributed some of the money to the 401k but my employer contributed most of it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 6 months ago.

PA law may consider 401k benefits as wages. PA determines unemployment eligibility on a case by case basis and the only way to find out about your specific scenario is contacting PA's unemployment office. Here is a link to the office contact information to confirm eligibility:

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.