Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

If a retail store closes on Easter Sunday, are they allowed

Customer Question

If a retail store closes on Easter Sunday, are they allowed to charge each employee a vacation day for that day?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome. I truly wish I could tell you otherwise, but since the law does not require employers to pay employees for holidays that the employee doesn't work, nor to provide vacation time, it does not violate any employment laws for an employer to charge an employee a vacation day for Easter. It's a rather poor business practice, but just does not violate any law. I hope this answers your question and I'm sorry I don't have better news to share.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.