Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

When I was red (at a nonprofit) it was stated that I would

Customer Question

When I was hired (at a nonprofit) it was stated that I would work for up to five days for an hourly rate, and once hired, be moved to a salaried rate. After the fourth day, I was hired full time. The founder said she would discuss salary with me when she had a chance... she never had time. One week later, I was given a paycheck with no stub. It did not seem accurate, as it appeared I was working for less than minimum wage (for two weeks) when overtime was considered. I asked for a pay stub, and was told I could not get one, as they had paid me via company check. A little over a week later, I quit. I immediately asked again for a pay stub for the first two weeks, and confirmation of my salary for the next week. I was told I was salaried (via email from the founder and her personal assistant) at $600 a week. I responded that that was fine, and included the info that I was also still due overtime, as in CA, you must make twice the minimum wage (among other things) to be exempt from overtime. They are now stating that I was minimum wage hourly the entire time. Must they pay me the salaried overtime?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.
I think you have a strong basis for the unpaid amounts. You relied on their representations and they refuse to honor them. Here is an overview on how to recoup your money. http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm
They should be able to assist you as it is a public service.