Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

Is it legal to sign the boss name? The boss was away and ask

Customer Question

Is it legal to sign the boss name?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The boss was away and ask me to sign an important letter for him. It was a letter giving the bank direction.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

It is not a crime to sign someone else's name with their permission. However, the crime of forgery require that you write someone else's name without authorization, usually with the intent to gain something of value. That's not what's happening here. A bank may reject a check or letter that you write on your boss's behalf, because they have his signature on file, and they can see that he didn't sign it. Once your boss tells them that he gave you permission to sign for the letter for him, you shouldn't have any issues. Or if you have an email where your boss gave you that direction, that could help.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.