Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I got hurt on the job, in front of the owner a couple months

Customer Question

I got hurt on the job, in front of the owner a couple months back, and injured my arm/elbow/hand, I asked to go to the doctors, was told by the owner who seen me fall, that if I do, his Insurance company guy will tell him to fire me?. Now, I was injured in a motor vehicle accident on 01/30/2016, have been going to the doctors Feb. was 3 times a week, and now in march 2 times a week, these are therapy appointments that were made by the Physicians group, I gave work a copy of the dates, and told them these were the day's I know of so far, I had appointments last week on Tues. weds. and Thurs. left Tuesday for my appointment at 3:30 in the afternoon like usual, on Weds. morning I get to work and the Owner says we need to have a meeting with everyone, we have the meeting, he says we all need to be there all day, I need to schedule my appointments on my lunch hour, or at 8am. I told him I can only have what was open at the doctors office and I will try, and I also told him I still have an appointment Today Weds. at 2pm. I left work at 12:30 because of the MRI place was in Bradenton a distance away, By the time I got done it was 5:30. I came into work Thursday morning, he called me over and said "I think you need to load your tools up I think your done", I asked why, he said we just had the meeting yesterday and you still left and you didn't call or come back to work?, I told him I told you in the meeting I still had the doctors scheduled? I didn't argue because he fired me and there was no point. Friday I went in to get my last check, he tried to get me to sign a piece of paper stating the reason he fired me was because of my attitude?, I told him that was incorrect, you told me yesterday that the reason was I didn't call or come back from my doctors appointment? What you have written here is incorrect and I am not signing it.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 months ago.

This is Samuel. I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Do you want to know if he can keep your wages until you sign?

When you went to get your pay check was it a regular pay day?