John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I was wondering about work hours. I have been working at a

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I was wondering about work hours. I have been working at a landfill and they just hired two more guys. They are started out more than I make by $3 to do the same job. Also now they have cut our hours and I am now getting 8 hours while the two new guys are getting 10hours. I have I never missed a day and have never been written up. Is that legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Do you think the employer or its manager(s) has an ulterior motive in giving you less hours and pay, perhaps your age, race, gender,disability or religious beliefs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not in a union. I am not sure if they think my age 32 is a problem. The only thing I can see is one of the guys that was hired is my boss's friends from a previous job and the friend got my boss his job here so there is some favor there
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I see. You are as such an at will employee. What this means to you is, you're going to have to ask for/try to negotiate more hours and wage for yourself, because you do not have a equality or a private contrast that mandates you get X hours or pay. Favoritism in a private sector job (as opposed to government) is not illegal and unfortunately is the way a lot of places operate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.