Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

My employer has asked all employees medical story, no this

Customer Question

My employer has asked all employees for their medical history
JA: The Employment Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no this just happened this morning
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I work in the USA for a foreign airline
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: no I was just wondering if that was legal or not
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is the purpose they are asking for the information? Have they told you yet?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No just to update our files but I have never supplied them with a medical history
Thank you for your reply
The thing is that it is not unlawful for an employer to require medical history from employees for any reason, as long as they keep that information in a secure file that is not accessible to others who have no need to know. The employer is prevented by law from actually using that information for any type of employment action or decisions against the employee, that would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, the employer can use that information for health insurance premiums or in case of emergency the employer would have the information if necessary.