legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I was off from my job in February. I did not qualify

Customer Question

I was laid off from my job in February. I did not qualify for unemployment benefits until April. I took a job a week ago making a lot less than my last job which paid me $14.70 per hour. The job I have now pays $10 per hour. The commute is almost double what I had expected and it's making it difficult to take care of my children. I have only worked there for one week, so if I quit for these reasons, can I still receive unemployment until I find another job?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 7 months ago.

Unemployment insurance will only be allowed if there is a good cause reason for quitting. There is actually precedent on this issue:

Family circumstances can be "good cause" to quit a job, if one tells the employer about the problem and take steps to fix it oneself (Davis v. UCBR, 452 A.2d 93 (1982)). For example, there may be good cause to quit if one loses a babysitter and cannot find adequate childcare (as long as efforts are made to overcome the problem, and the employer is kept informated about the situation so that adjustments might be made.) (Truitt v. UCBR, 509 Pa. 628 (1991)).

Expert:  legalgems replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information provided was useful.

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly

--- Rate Positively---
so the site credits me for assisting you.

Thank you and take care!