Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Just got a letter in the mail from my insurance provider

Customer Question

just got a letter in the mail from my insurance provider (CDPHP) stating my insurance had been terminated since January 31, 2016.
Called CDPHP and they said the group policy had been terminated and it was between me and our health benefits expert.
This was monday, march 14. Since then our HR person has said they are trying to resolve the issue.
This happened another time in January of this year. We got a letter stating our insurance was terminated as of November 30, 2015.
We are all without insurance and are being told that it is a CDPHP error and not our employers. We are all livid. what can we do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
At this point, the US Department of Labor handles complaints regarding employee benefits and so does your state insurance commissioner. So your first step is filing a complaint with both the US Department of Labor and the State Insurance Commissioner about the improper and illegal (contrary to the Affordable Care Act) termination of benefits without proper advance notice. Once the US Department of Labor and Insurance Commission starts sniffing around you would be surprised how fast these insurance companies and employers are able to find the mistake and fix it.
If they do not find the mistake and the DOL and Insurance Commission cannot fix the issue, then the employees will need a local attorney who will have to file a suit against both the employer and insurer and make the court decide which of the two is liable to the employees for this.