TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

We are a medical billing company and sent a letter to

Customer Question

We are a medical billing company and sent a letter to patient. We then received an e-mail asking to contact her lawyer. We could not be 100% that this e-mail was from the patient. It does have her name on the gmail address. Is sufficient to authorize to speak with her lawyer? also, if the lawyer asks for further information such as a bill, are we within our rights to ask for a written authorization from the patient or a letter from the lawyer, signed by the patient requesting that we send the bill to the lawyer?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Yes, an email that purports to come from the patient is sufficient for you to speak to the patient's attorney. If the patient were to complain in the future and act as though the email was not from the patient, then you can point out that the email appeared to be in response to your letter sent to the patient, and so it was reasonable to take the email at face value. Moreover, when you do speak to the attorney, he would be in a world of trouble if he misrepresented that he was the patient's attorney. So, I would be comfortable communicating with the attorney. However, you are indeed within your rights to refuse to speak to the attorney until you are given a letter of representation signed by the patient.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if we take the e-mail as authorization to speak to the lawyer, we can then ask for a written authorization if he wants to request information such as an invoice? or would we just have to send him the invoice if he asks?

Hello again. I apologize for the late reply ... I wasn't immediately alerted that you responded with a follow-up question.

If the lawyer wants copies of documents, I would require something signed by the patient indicating that it's okay to release the documents (such as the invoice). Let me know if you have further questions. I will be online for a while tonight. Thanks.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!