Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can my employer require proof of death, No, I have to go to

Customer Question

Can my employer require proof of death
JA: OK. The Employment Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have to go to a funeral and my employer wants proof that i was there and i may not be able to do so since it will be an immediate burial
JA: Is there anything else the Employment Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: Our top Employment Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Employment Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Employment Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Yes, an employer can make this request because nothing in either state or federal law actually requires an employer to grant bereavement leave. An employer has the legal option not to provide that sort of leave at all.

Where they choose to grant that sort of leave, they can make a specific request for evidence supporting the leave. If you can't obtain that sort of evidence, the employer could even terminate based on it. That being said, if the employer is unreasonable in their requirements, you'd be able to obtain unemployment despite the termination.

However, unfortunately, the termination itself would be legal. Regrettably, employers are granted a great deal of latitude with this sort of thing.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.