Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

Public transportation company in Michigan wrongfully

Customer Question

Public transportation company in Michigan wrongfully terminated my employment, I contacted the EEOC the next day. Nearly a month later I was reinstated to my job with half pay. After the company was contacted by the EEOC, they tried to force me to sign a waiver to sue for any reason including my ADHD condition. When I refused to sign I was suspended and sent home. I feel as if they are retaliating against me for filing a charge concerning my mental condition. Do they have a right to make me sign without providing a copy for an attorney to see?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.

NO, they cannot force you to sign a release without having your attorney review it. Your concerns about retaliation may be spot on. Even this suspension is putting you under duress so that forcing you to sign a release or lose your job is not enforceable. You should not have to be subjugated to this type of hostile conduct. You should explore retaining a local employment law attorney about possibly pursuing a lawsuit against this company. You should not have to have pay reduced either.