Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

Is it discriminatory not to re a felon in New York State.

Customer Question

Is it discriminatory not to hire a felon in New York State. Just got an offer for an office job but now they are doing a background check. My conviction is dwi. Can they deny me because of this. Trying to get on the right track and improve my life.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is it discriminatory not to hire a felon in New York State. Can they deny me because of this.

.

I hate to say it, but yes, an employer can legally discriminate against someone based on a criminal record. There are no protections from discrimination based on a person's criminal history as that is not considered a "protected class" like someone's gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. which are illegal to discriminate based on.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks