Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I just started a job with a new employer... He brings s 4

Customer Question

HI I just started a job with a new employer... He brings his 4 dogs to work and "tells me" to walk them in the middle of my work day ...and also the dogs go to the bathroom in the office and he tells me to clean it up.
is this legal...?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Assuming that you do not have a term contract that lays out each and every duty you will be required to perform, the employer is free to direct you to do anything they need you to do, that is not otherwise a criminal act. Nothing in what you described is criminal, so as unusual, and unprofessional, as it may be, your employer can direct you to take care of his pets (including cleaning up after them) as long as you are being paid your regular rate of pay for all of the hours that you work. The only other exception is that they cannot be targeting you for more adverse treatment merely because of your gender, race, national origin, age (over 40), disability, religion, pregnancy or military service.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 23rd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing orin the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.