Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

I have been working hotel past 6+ years, as a part time

Customer Question

I have been working for a hotel for the past 6+ years, as a part time employee for most of that time. A year ago I started working only about 1 or 2 days a week. I just heard that my current manager wants to take me off the schedule completely and I wanted to know if there's legally anything I can do about it.
Thank you,
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 months ago.

Hello Lorena,

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, unless you are in a union and there is a bargaining agreement that provides differently, an employer in Florida, as in most states, can set and change the terms and conditions of employment, up to an including termination, in any manner they deem appropriate. In other words, if employment is "at will," the employer can cut hours, or let an employee go for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning, unless doing so is motivated by unlawful discrimination on the basis of the employee's race, national origin, gender, age (over 40), religion, disability, pregnancy or military service.

Therefore, unless your situation falls within the exception I mentioned, your employer could do this even if it seems unfair or a poor management decision. Please feel free to let me know if you need any clarification. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 22nd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.