Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I was fire due to 3 accidents all Minor with Work Trucks. I

Customer Question

I was fire due to 3 accidents all Minor with Work Trucks. I was a maintenance foreman and worked for this company for 4.5 yrs. the First 3.5 years i had no work truck accidents, but was harassed on a daily basis for not being able to see over the steering wheel. I asked them to correct the problem in the trucks so I could see better. But the ignored my verbal request.
From Birth I was born with Disabilities from Congenital Rubella Syndrome. I am Blind in Right Eye and Deaf in Right ear. Also my body is shorter from waist to top of my head because of the defects. As I have gotten older (53) my sight is not as good as it use to be. This has created more blind spots when backing up and seeing behind me. The seat adjustment would have increased my line of vision my much better. My Company fired we fire for having 3 accidents in less than 1 year. I file a Disability Discrimination Complaint with EEOC almost 4 weeks ago. What should I do next?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Right now you have to wait. The EEOC is going to take some time investigating the matter and issuing their report. Until they do that, you can't do anything else. You have to have that EEOC report and "right to sue" letter to file a suit in federal court, so you can't take any further legal steps before that is done.

You can certainly begin contacting attorneys and talking to them about your case, to see if any would be interested. However, the problem with that is that most attorneys want to see your EEOC report before they get involved, meaning that you'll only get the interest of the most desperate or new attorneys in the Employment law area. Most want that report before they commit to a case.

So, at this point, you need to wait. I wouldn't initiate a search for an attorney until the EEOC tells you that they are considering setting up a mediation for you. While you don't NEED an attorney for that, it's not a bad idea to have one there.

Regrettably, the EEOC process and the legal process is slow. So, while 4 weeks is a long time to wait for something, it's almost no time at all in comparison to the normal length of this process. You're looking at months, maybe half a year or more, before they complete their investigation. Then another year for federal court actions.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.