Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

I am to receive a 15000 dollar severence pay in CA will it

Customer Question

I am to receive a 15000 dollar severence pay in CA will it be taxed and how much
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Federal law requires a 25% withholding on separate severance payments. The amount of the actual tax you'll pay will depend on your total income and deductions. But severance pay is taxed as income. The $15,000 will be included as wages on your W-2 at the end of the year, because severance is a wage replacement. California will also tax the payment as income, again, depending on your total income and deductions.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.