RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Is there any law protecting workers from supervisors who

Customer Question

Is there any law protecting workers from supervisors who bully employees and threatens to write them up or fire them for making mistakes. She is intimidating in her attitude towards employees and she speaks very unprofessionally about anyone (other employees, the public), telling employees during evaluations that they are too nice to the public when it is our job to deal with the public and be respectful of their differences and problems. She does not seem to discriminate due to race or religion, but she does play favorites when it comes to discipline. She has been known to yell at an employee during a discussion about something that happened. I get most of this third hand and my co-worker who is with me tonight is having difficulty finding examples too. We just know that everyone states they are afraid to come to work because she might try to find a way to get them fired. What we need to know is what can we do to protect ourselves and what rights do we have when she does cause this stress. I realize this is very vague and I can't give too many examples, but could you refer me to anything that could help with employee rights in the workplace.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

Unfortunately, as the Supreme Court once noted, "the law is not a civility code." There is no state or federal law which prevents an employer from being impolite, rude, demeaning, etc. While the law does make it unlawful for an employer to discriminate on the basis or race, religion, age, sex, disability or national origin, nothing says they have to like their employees, be polite, or treat them with respect. And nothing says they can't play favorites (again, so long as their favorites aren't based upon discrimination).

I wish I could tell you that there was some right or laws that I could point you to, but it would be unfair to you, and unethical of me, to tell you less then the truth.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.

If you have further questions or need clarification about this matter, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are paid for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.