Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.

In nc if there has been fighting between family an employees

Customer Question

In nc if there has been fighting between family an employees and you were made to sign a non compeatand 8 years ago or lose your job can you quit and start your own business of the same kind without getting in trouble. We never even revived a copy of what we signed. Very unhappy there after 21 years and they are even my parents in law
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 7 months ago.

By leaving and starting a similar company would expose you to liability pursuant to the non-compete clause. Although the contract has not been revived, the terms of the contract are still enforceable. However, the terms must be reasonable and the duration and geographic location in which you are prohibited from competing with the employer must be restricted. Typically a 2 year time frame is considered reasonable and the non-compete should not prevent you from starting a similar company after two years of leaving the employer.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance or your cooperation.