Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

Can potential employer contact my current employer without

Customer Question

Can potential employer contact my current employer without my knowledge for a potential offer
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

There is absolutely no law, statutory or case law, that prevents an employer from contacting a current employer. The only law that applies would be that the employers can't discuss your medical issues without your specific permission.

There is even a specific law in NC stating that no lawsuit is possible regarding disclosure of information unless it is proven that the disclosed information was false and known to be false.

That statute is the Job Reference law at N.C.G.S. §1-539.12.

The NC Department of Labor has a page on their website with general information about this topic at http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact%20sheets/job_ref_blacklisting_law.htm

If medical information was disclosed without your permission then you can report the employer to the Attorney General or the federal Department of Health and human Services.