Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I accidentally left my work keys behind counter at Dollar

Customer Question

I accidentally left my work keys behind counter at Dollar General and when i returned to work my name was crossed out with the word quit acrossed it. I called the DM to let him know i didnt quit i left them there by accident and he said its automatic termination is this legal
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, employment in the state of Iowa is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true. This means an employee can be terminated for leaving behind their work keys. However, since you didn't actually "quit" but were terminated you should be eligible for unemployment benefits (quitting typically results in disqualification, but you need to have actually quit, your employer calling it a "quit" isn't what matters).

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.