Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I was terminated from a job with St Health System in Oregon.

Customer Question

I was terminated from a job with St Charles Health System in Oregon. The termination was based on hearsay from the departments I managed. I had nothing but positive performance evaluations and I was not on any disciplinary action. What can be done?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

Unless you had an employment contract, you are considered to be employed at will. In Oregon, and the rest of the U.S., when you are employed at will, you can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all. There are, however, a couple of exceptions to this general premise of employment at will. You cannot be terminated based on discrimination predicated on your age, race, gender or disability. You also cannot be terminated if this termination would violate public policy (you refuse to commit an illegal act at the direction of the employer and they terminate you).

So, where does that leave us with your situation? If you have evidence that this termination and the hearsay was rooted in discrimination, then you have the right to file a complaint with the EEOC. The EEOC will review your complaint and if it finds merit will allow you to sue in federal court for damages and attorney fees. Unfortunately, if there is no evidence of discrimination based on age, race, gender or disability, then you really do not have any recourse.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars).

Best

Just checking to see if you had any other questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable in this difficult situation as possible. Thanks!