Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I work in a federal prison and I am a Christian woman that

Customer Question

I work in a federal prison and I am a Christian woman that has only had to visual search female and now my job is trying to require that I visual search a transgender with male gentile because the inmate feels like a woman do I have to perform this duty.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, searching of inmates or arrested subjects is not something governed by law, it is something set by each department's policy. As your employer has the right to set these rules, if your employer insists you search transgenders or even male inmates as a female, they legally could make you do so and if you refuse to perform the duty, they could fire you for refusing to do work. As bad as this sounds to you and many people, legally there is nothing unlawful about this type of work requirement.