Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I am an accounts payable/ receptionist at a real estate

Customer Question

I am an accounts payable/ receptionist at a real estate company. I've been working there for 1 and a half. My goal is to grow and advance within the company. In the past year and a half, 7 employees has left this company including my direct supervisor. They've hired new people since including filling my direct supervisors position six months ago. Just recently the office manager gave her notice, I saw that as an opportunity to grow since I've filled in for that position when the office manager is away on vacation or sick.
I spoke to my new direct supervisor about an opportunity to fill the office manager position, I explained to him my goals and how I'd like to grow with the company and I've done a lot of the work that the former office manager was doing and I'd like an opportunity to interview for the position. He said to me he doesn't think I can do her full load of job description however I can do partial of it and he will interview external employees and him and I would circle back in a few days.
As I went back to my desk a few minutes later he put together a job description with 12 bullet points for me to take over in addition to my current job. I read it and later on circled back with him saying I've read the additional job description, I asked him is this temporary he said no he'd like for me to do this and prove my self and maybe later on they'll see if they can make me an executive assistant in the future. I asked him will they be a title change for me he said we can visit that at the end of the year during the review process.
They've hired a new office manager. I feel hurt as I never had an opportunity to even interview for the position and he never told the big boss I was interested. Now I am stuck doing these additional 12 duties with no increase in my salary. Please help me by giving me some advise on this matter.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What is it you want to know? Are you asking if they are required to promote you or give you that job?