How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 29028
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have filed a complaint with EEOC, supervisor using "N' word

Customer Question

Have filed a complaint with EEOC, supervisor using "N' word have I witnesses. The terminated the man that did it, he was with the company 20 years. He has been doing this the whole time. The company does construction work throughout the South. Now my supervisor has told me if he finds out that I am lying he will fire me. My hours have been changed from 12:00p to 10:00 to 8am to 5pm. our local hours for the EEOC is 8a to 5p. They are trying to force me to sign a statement that Tennessee is a at will state and I can be fired for any reason. I like my job and cannot afford to loose it . I don't know what to do I need help. I have the supervisor recorded using the 'N' word. I really need help. I have a family to support.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If your employer allowed this supervisor to create a hostile work environment based on your race, they could still be sued for not stopping the problem earlier (unless they fired him at the first report). It is ALSO a violation of federal law for an employer to retaliate against an employee for exercising his rights. They can't stop you from pursuing your complaint, and they can't fire you because you reported their bad behavior. If they do, you can sue for reinstatement, back pay, and punitive damages, plus your attorney's fees.

You may want to have a local attorney reach out to your company with a letter explaining why what they're doing is illegal. If you can find someone to handle both the racism and the retaliation complaint, that would probably be easier for you. And if you win the case, your company will have to pay the lawyer for you.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Employment Law Questions