Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I have a potential employee who stated she might have issues

Customer Question

I have a potential employee who stated she might have issues with her visa, and I am not sure whether she is a citizen but she supplied a social security number. I ran a background check which I am not sure I had the right to do at this point but it came back that the social security number was not valid what should I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You cannot hire her with the invalid SSN, you need to simply tell her that when she has her visa issue fixed and has a valid work visa she can return and you would consider hiring her at that time. If you hire her, you could now end up liable since you know her I verify on her SSN has come back with the number being invalid.
Your only duty and obligation at this point is to not hire her until she comes back with a proper visa and SSN documentation. You do not have to do anything else.